At Smith Haughey, we believe that the communities we serve are largely responsible for our decades of success. We also believe that service to others is a privilege. And we believe that we have a responsibility to make our communities a better place. That’s why we’ve made it a habit to give back to our communities, both through corporate philanthropy and our commitment of time.
Our attorneys and professional staff express their deep sense of community in many ways. We serve as mentors and sit on civic and community boards. We raise money for charities and are actively involved in our children’s schools and our places of worship. Some of us seek to effect change through the political process. Nearly everyone devotes time to a professional affiliation.
Here are just a few of the ways in which we devote our resources:
- The firm provided funds to support the re-opening of the City of Grand Rapids’ six public pools for the summer season. The pools are a vital source of “out-of-school-time” programs for our city’s youth and provide a safe environment for many at risk kids.
- The firm and its employees continue to make contributions to the Heart of West Michigan United Way and its many community programs.
- For several years, our members have walked as firm sponsored teams in the American Cancer Society’s “Walk for the Cure” to support breast cancer research.
- Each quarter, 40-50 of Smith Haughey’s employees give blood at work during our firm’s blood drives.
- Several of our attorneys have provided pro bono legal help through the Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim County Bar Association's Free Legal Aid Clinic and also at “Project Homeless Connect,” a program of the Grand Rapids Area Coalition to End Homelessness.
- The firm has a tradition of supporting arts programs, such as the Traverse Symphony Orchestra, Grand Rapids Civic Theatre, and the Ann Arbor Art Festival.
Members of the firm volunteer each month at Kids Food Basket where they assemble sack suppers for children in Grand Rapids Public Schools who are nutritionally at risk.
Partner with Smith Haughey
As a firm, Smith Haughey is deeply committed to doing everything we can to support our lawyers and professional staff so that they may make contributions to the causes that are important to them. To that end, we only consider charitable requests that originate from our lawyers and staff. For more information about our community responsibility, please contact Shannon Cunningham or call 616.458.1332.