For over 30 years, Craig Noland has successfully litigated cases throughout the state of Michigan. His cases have resulted in numerous published opinions of the Michigan Court of Appeals and Supreme Court. He has served as chairman of the firm’s litigation department, and his practice focuses on municipal, civil rights, school law, public employment, and zoning litigation.
Craig is a frequent lecturer and author on municipal and public employment litigation. He has participated in numerous risk management training videos, and seminars covering such topics as employment discrimination, litigation, governance, land use, and zoning.
He and his wife, Rita, have raised three children. They enjoy school activities and sports.
- Listed as a "Michigan Super Lawyer" (2007-2011) -- General Litigation
- AV Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Indiana University (B.A., 1976). Phi Beta Kappa.
- Indiana University (J.D., 1979)
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Michigan, 1979
- January 2013 - Dismissal of a West Michigan School district in a multi-count employment discrimination case.
- April 2013 - Dismissal of a West Michigan Township in a multi-count employment discrimination case which included claims under the Whistleblowing & Protection Act.
Reported Michigan Appellate and Federal Court Decisions
Hucul Advertising LLC v Charter Township of Gaines, 2012 WL 4052289 (W.D. Mich.)
- Dismissal of First Amendment and other constitutional claims arising from the denial of an application for a digital billboard
Morley v Grand Rapids Public Schools, 2012 WL 2579696 (Mich. App.)
- Affirming dismissal of multi-court complaint, including claims of defamation and tortious interference
Edwards v Grand Rapids Community College, 2012 1:09-cv-1067 (W.D. Mich.)
- Unanimous jury verdict of no cause of action, in a case where plaintiff alleged employment discrimination
LaVigne v City of Norton Shores, 2012 WL 611934 (W.D. Mich.)
- Dismissal of state and federal claims in an employment termination case
Martin v Niles Housing Commission, 2012 WL 385603 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of tort claims against board members arising from a termination of employment.
Lamar OCI North Corp. v City of Walker, 803 F. Supp.2d 707; 2011 WL 2945831, W.D. Mich., July 21, 2011 (No. 1:10-cv-1180)
- Dismissal of equal protection claims arising from the application for a digital billboard.
LaVigne v Eggleston Twp., 2010 WL 3718628 (Mich. App.)
- Affirming a jury defense verdict in a case arising from a school bus and fire truck accident.
Gordon v Chikaming Twp., 2010 WL 4864481 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of claim against township and building official arising from faulty construction.
Cummins v Robinson Twp., 283 Mich. App. 677; 770 N.W.2d 421 (2009)
- Dismissal of “takings” and related constitutional claims.
Forner v Robinson Twp. Bd., 2009 WL 2515742
- Dismissal of claims brought under the Whistleblower’s Protection Act.
Faulkner v Dalton Twp., 2009 WL 1440758 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of “takings”, and property damage claims.
Great Lakes Soc. v Georgetown Charter Twp., 281 Mich. App. 396; 761 N.W.2d 371 (2008)
- Dismissal of federal constitutional claims, and claims brought under the Religious Land Use and Institutionalized Persons Act
Doorenbos v Alpine Township, 2008 WL 4604059 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of claims of takings, and temporary takings arising from various zoning decisions.
Ted Nugent v Michigan Summer Celebration, 2007 WL 3033969 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of defamation, and related tort claims.
Helder v Grattan Twp., 2006 WL 258942 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of property damages claims arising from a sewer backup.
Ritzer v Lockport Fabius Twp., 2005 WL 292236 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of claims brought under the Freedom of Information Act.
Landon Holdings, Inc. v Thornapple Township, 2005 WL 1633265 (Mich App)
- Affirming dismissal of “takings”, and related claims arising from various zoning decisions.
Rhodes v Fruitland Twp., 2004 WL 67550 (Mich. App.)
- Dismissal of third party beneficiary claim arising from a drowning off a pier on Lake Michigan.
Ritzma v Twp. of Martin, 2003 WL 22871097
- Dismissal of tort claims involving a fire truck accident.
- Michigan Township Association Legal Institute for Township Attorneys, January 2010, Current Issues in Zoning
Blog posts for Craig R. Noland
- American Bar Association (Member, Section on Litigation)
- State Bar of Michigan (Member, Sections on: Real Estate; Labor and Employment Law; Litigation; Public Corporation Law)
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Michigan Public Risk Management Association
- County Road Association of Michigan
- Michigan Township Association