Jeff Kemperman is an associate for Smith Haughey’s Grand Rapids office, practicing in the areas of general litigation, commercial litigation, professional liability and legal malpractice liability matters. He defends and represents small business owners, corporations, health care providers, law firms, attorneys and other professionals.
Jeff has extensive trial experience having served six years as a Senior Deputy District Attorney in Denver, Colorado. He has organized and initiated 75+ misdemeanor and felony jury trials. His trial experience includes murder, assault, domestic and gang violence, crimes against children, arson, weapons offenses and more. He is adept at pretrial negotiations and plea agreements, researching and drafting motions, handling pretrial conferences and courtroom presentation, and preparing witnesses. Jeff expertly utilizes technology in the courtroom and has trained other attorneys to do so.
In his spare time, Jeff is an active member of the Grand Rapids theatre community, having performed at Circle Theatre and the Grand Rapids Civic Theatre. Jeff has also performed as both a collegiate and professional mascot for the past seventeen years for Grand Valley State University, Michigan State University, the Grand Rapids Griffins, Grand Rapids Rampage, West Michigan Whitecaps, Lansing Lugnuts and the New Jersey Devils. He currently trains the next generation of collegiate mascot performers.
- Grand Valley State University (B.S., 2000)
- Michigan State University (M.A., 2002), Dean’s List
- Michigan State University College of Law (J.D., 2005), Dual concentrations in Criminal Law and Trial Practice, Inaugural Recipient of Walter E. Oberer Scholarship
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Colorado, 2006
- State Bar of Michigan, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, 2013
Previous Professional Experience
- Externship – Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office, 2004-2005
- Senior Deputy District Attorney – Denver District Attorneys Office; City and County of Denver, 2006-2012
Smith Haughey Publications
|Newsletter||3/29/2013||Medical Malpractice Newsletter|
News for Jeffrey C. Kemperman
Blog posts for Jeffrey C. Kemperman
Smith Haughey has been a proud supporter of the local theatre for over 40 years. We have had the opportunity to participate on the board of directors and sponsor one-of-a-kind productions, and our involvement continues to evolve – especially this year. Smith Haughey is pleased to announce that our very own attorney, Jeff Kemperman, is part of the Les Misérables cast.
- Colorado Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
- Michigan State University Student Alumni Foundation (2003-present)
- Grand Rapids Civic Theatre
- Circle Theatre