R. Jay Hardin
Attorney - Shareholder
- Animal Bites & Injury
- Aviation Crashes
- Bicycle & Pedestrian Injury
- Burn Accident Victims
- Car and Truck Accidents
- Closed Head Injury
- Health Law
- Motorcycle Crash Litigation
- Personal Injury & Wrongful Death
- Plaintiff's Contingency Cases: Business and Employment
- Plaintiff's Product Liability
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Work Related Accidents
Office: Traverse City
Jay has 27 years of experience representing doctors, nurses, hospitals, physician groups, and other health care providers in Michigan. He currently serves as outside general counsel for his health law clients, providing daily assistance on issues such as HIPAA, health care reform, reimbursement, compliance, licensing, Stark Law, employment law, real estate, and administrative and other corporate matters.
In addition, Jay is an experienced trial lawyer. For 20 years he represented health care providers in the defense of medical malpractice claims. Now, he uses his vast medical knowledge and trial skills to benefit his clients involved in personal injury, wrongful dealth, and other plaintiffs cases. He has represented individuals and estates in aviation crashes, securities cases, exposures to carbon monoxide, aggravation of pre-existing genetic disorders, vehicular crashes, employment discrimination, and many other areas of the law. Jay has tried over 100 cases in Michigan's state and federal courts and before state and federal administrative agencies. He also has served as co-counsel in litigated matters throughout the country.
Jay recently completed his second term as an elected member of the firm's Board of Directors. He has also served as the managing partner of the firm's Traverse City office and was a founding member of that office which opened in 1990.
An outdoors enthusiast, Jay enjoys cross country skiing, mountain and road biking, hiking, and golfing. He and his wife Janine have two adult sons.
- University of Michigan (B.A., with high honors, 1980)
- University of Michigan (J.D., 1983)
Admitted to Practice
- State Bar of Michigan, 1983
- United States District Court, Western District of Michigan, 1983
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan, 1983
- 2013 -- R. Jay Hardin and Kristen Campbell represented a client who was severely injured in a tractor accident while volunteering on a commercial cherry farm. The attorneys received a jury verdict on behalf of their client for $650,000 intended to cover past and future health care costs, pain, and suffering. The client was a teenager, who was operating the tractor when its brakes failed. The cherry farm had given our client little to no training on the machine.
2011 -- R. Jay Hardin and Matt Wikander achieved a settlement of over $4,000,000 on behalf of the estates of two individuals killed in a catastrophic crash.
2011 -- R. Jay Hardin and Matt Wikander achieved a settlement in the amount of $2,100,000 on behalf of a construction worker severely and permanently injured while falling to the ground off of a malfunctioning scissor lift.
2007-2011 -- R. Jay Hardin and Matt Wikander represented the estates of two deceased pilots killed in an aviation crash. After years of litigation, and after defeating the defendant's numerous motions to dismiss the claims, both cases were resolved under confidential terms just before trial was set to commence.
Smith Haughey Publications
|Newsletter||9/29/2005||Legal Ease Fall 2005|
|Legal Alert||9/1/2003||Emergency Medical Service Obligation Clarified In EMTALA Final Rule|
|Legal Alert||8/1/2002||Modifications to the HIPAA Privacy Standards: Finally, Some Good News for Providers|
|Legal Alert||12/1/2000||Final HIPAA Privacy Rules|
|Legal Alert||6/1/2000||OIG Issues Draft Compliance Program Guidance for Individual and Small Group Physician Practices|
News for R. Jay Hardin
Harvey Named "40 Under 40" in Traverse City
Officers Elected to Lead SHRR
Blog posts for R. Jay Hardin
- American Bar Association (Member, Section on: Health Law; Litigation)
- State Bar of Michigan (Member, Sections on: Health Law; Business Law)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim Bar Association
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel